We’re delighted to announce that BID member V.SQ gin bar in Skipton has just been presented with a Best Bar None award.
This is a huge achievement and not only is it the first licensed premises in Skipton to receive this accreditation, but the first in North Yorkshire! So a BIG well done to the team. You might have seen it in the Craven Herald recently?
If you haven’t yet visited V.SQ then we highly recommend you do so. Based in Skipton’s quaint Victoria Square just off our award-winning High Street, the family-owned business was opened by gin lovers Lorraine and her daughter Aimee in December 2015.
The aim was to introduce people to an array of gins and other drinks. With its specialist menu, the bar offers an alternative to anything else in Skipton and is now a popular drinking haunt for locals and visitors to the town.
Here is a picture of the V.SQ Team, Tom Venning, Nicholas Smout and Lorraine Forshaw receiving the award from Martin Emmerson, Skipton Town Mayor (left to right).
What is Best Bar None?
For those that haven’t heard of this award before, Best Bar None is a National Award Scheme supported by the Home Office and the drinks industry. It is mainly aimed at promoting responsible management and operation of alcohol licensed premises.
First established in Manchester in 2003, the initiative has improved standards in the evening and night time economy by rewarding excellence via audits and awards. It is now a highly competitive achievement. Skipton has become one of the 75 towns and cities across the UK taking part.
Skipton’s Licensed Trade
Skipton has a wide range of licensed venues all of which have something special to offer whether it’s a great selection of spirits, real ales, good food, beautiful accommodation, roaring fires, beer gardens… you name it, Skipton’s got it. As the BID, we want all of these businesses to thrive and so we’re encouraging more to participate in Best Bar None. Here are some of the benefits to our town by taking part:
- Reduce alcohol related crime and disorder
- To build a positive relationship between licensed trade, police and local authorities
- To improve knowledge and skills of enforcement and regulation agencies, licensees and bar staff to help them responsibly manage licensed premises
- Process of becoming recognised by BBN includes meeting minimum standards and culminates with a high profile award night with category winners and an overall winner
- Responsible owners are recognised and able to share good practice with others
- Highlight how operating more responsibly can improve the profitability of an individual business and attractiveness of a general area
So, once again, well done to the whole team at V.SQ. We’re very proud to say one of Skipton’s bars has received the first Best Bar None in North Yorkshire. We hope you all manage to visit, raise your glass and say cheers to that!
For more information on Best Bar None, visit Best Bar none.
For further information on the BID and other resources available for BID members and levy payers, please take a look round the website, Skipton BID